Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Michelle's (not so) Famous Chili

The few people who have had the chance to visit the Hubby and I in Orlando have had my chili. I'm not one to brag but those who have had it love it and always request it. I can't take all the credit though, this is based off my mom's chili which everyone (but my picky little brother) loves. This is simply my take on her recipe. This isn't your typical chili, I like to think of it as a southwestern chili. This chili features Rotel Lime & Cilantro Diced Tomatoes as well as my personal favorite hot sauce, Cholula. What's great about chili is that it's very easy to change up with the toppings you add and it's still great the next day with some spaghetti (my favorite!).


There a few things I would like to mention before I get to the actual recipe. First, you may have noticed that I use mostly Great Value products. For those worried about a taste difference between brand names and generic, there is no difference. I promise. I always tell anyone who will listen to buy the Great Value version, why? It's a great value, it's in the name, people! Seriously though, take it from someone who doesn't have the biggest budget (college student + finance major Hubby= tiny budget) every penny saved makes a difference. Another thing is, I never measure out my seasonings when cooking (except for when making recipes for posts) nor do I ever follow the measurements for seasonings in recipes. Here's why, when it comes to cooking for you and your family it's about what you like not what the recipe says. I always start by adding a little at a time and keep adding until I'm happy with the flavor. With that said, this recipe is pretty spicy if followed exactly so I definitely recommend tasting as you go.

Here's a tip that my grandmother taught my mom. This a quick way to cut onions very small, which is great when cooking for those who don't really like onions. First, cut your onion in half (like you would a lemon) and create a grid of cuts with your knife about 1/4-1/2 deep. Once you have your "grid" then slice your onions and you'll have tiny little pieces of onion that even the pickiest eater won't notice in your chili but you still get the great flavor. Hopefully the photos below will help to explain better than my words. I added the white lines to help show the cuts.
Here's the recipe.

You'll need:
1 can of crushed tomatoes (GV)
1/2 can of tomato paste (GV)
1 can of Rotel's Mexican Lime and Cilantro tomatoes
1 can of whole kernel corn (GV)
1 can of chili beans (GV)
Less than 1/4 of a yellow onion
1lb of ground turkey (or beef)
1 1/4 Tbsp. of Chili Powder
3/4 Tbsp. of Cumin 
1/4 Tbsp. of garlic powder (or the real stuff, the real stuff is much better)
A dash or 2 of cayenne pepper (very spicy)
Salt and pepper to taste

Toppings:
Cholula Original Hot Sauce
Jalapeno slices (pickled or fresh, I like pickled)
Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
Guacamole Ranch Dressing from Wishbone

First, cook the onions on a frying pan with butter plus a little oil for a minute or two on medium high heat until they are clear. Once the onions are done, add all the canned ingredients into a large pot (6-8qt). Then take the empty can where the crushed tomatoes were and fill it halfway with water and add that into the pot along with the cooked onions. Place the pot on the stove and set it to medium heat, stirring occasionally to ensure the bottom doesn't burn. Next brown your ground turkey or beef on the same pan as the onions using the leftover butter/oil. Add a little salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (if you dare) to the ground turkey while its cooking. Once your meat is browned add it to the pot and then add the seasonings, remember to taste as you go! Once you've added your seasonings your chili is ready to eat but remember that good chili simmers for at least 2 hours (thank you, Wendy's!). I personally like to leave my chili on low for at least 30 min, usually longer, before serving. There have been cases where the Hubby and I have been very hungry and have eaten the chili straight away and it's still delicious so really it's up to your tummy. One thing to keep in mind, the longer your chili simmers the more the flavors come out and it tends to get more salty and spicy. If your chili gets too overpowering after simmering just add a little water ( about half a cup or so) and a little more tomato paste.

There you have it!

Oh and please excuse my not so great iPhone photos, my camera was packed away in a box somewhere because of our move. Better photos are to come, I promise!





No comments :

Post a Comment